Patient Participation Group (PPG)
Every GP practice in Waltham Forest has a Patient Participation Group, often referred to as a PPG.
PPGs and how they are run differ according to each GP practice, however the roles of PPG members include:
- being a critical friend to the practice
- advising the practice on the patient perspective
- providing insight into the responsiveness and quality of services
- encouraging patients to take greater responsibility for their own and their family’s health
- carrying out research into the views of those who use the practice
- organising health promotion events and improving health literacy
- regular communication with the patient population.
Linking PPGs to the CCG’s Patient Reference Group
Five volunteer representatives from PPGs in the borough sit on the CCG’s Patient Reference Group (PRG) as PPG locality representatives to try to better connect PPGs to the local health and care public engagement network. You can read about our PPG Locality Representatives here.
PPG Local Standard
The CCG developed a Local Standard to support local PPGs in their development.
The standard assists PPGs to review what format their group takes, what impact it has and how it is connected to patients and the wider health community.
The standard also helps the CCG measures the level of patient involvement in each general practices with Gold, Silver or Bronze status.
You can download the PPG Local Standard from the bottom of this page.
Its development followed the CCG commissioning the Patients Association to support local PPGs with their development.
You can find out more about this work which took place in 2015/16 by watching this video
Would you like to know more?
To find out about your local PPG, or to join, ask to speak to the practice manager at your GP practice.
If you are having difficulties finding out any information about your local PPG, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about PPGs is also available on the National Association of Patient Participation (NAPP) website and the Patients Association.