Making a complaint enables NHS organisations to learn from mistakes, and can help to improve the quality of service other people receive.

How can I make a complaint?
You can make a complaint in writing, by email, over the telephone or in person. Your complaint should be made as soon as possible (and should ideally be within a year of the event.) You can make a complaint on your own or on behalf of someone else if you have their permission.

Who should I contact with my complaint?

  • For complaints about Whipps Cross Hospital or a Barts Health NHS Trust Service:
    Details on how to make a complaint about Whipps Cross Hospital or any Barts Health service can be found on the Barts Health website.

  • For complaints in relation to (NELFT) North East London Foundation Trust (This includes phlebotomy services within the borough):
    NELFT’s complaints leaflet can be downloaded from their website here.

  • For complaints about the service received from a GP, dentist, pharmacist or optometrist:
    Contact the service directly or the NHS England Customer Contact Centre on:
    Tel: 0300 311 22 33 (this is charged as a local rate call)
    Address: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

  • NHS Waltham Forest CCG and the services commissioned for the people of Waltham Forest
    If you have a complaint relating to the way an NHS service has been commissioned or you have been directly affected by a commissioning decision made by us, please contact the NHS Waltham Forest Clinical Commissioning Group's Complaints Team.

    The team can be contacted on:
    Quality and Governance Team
    Kirkdale House
    7 Kirkdale Road
    E11 1HP

    Telephone: 020 3688 2646

    WF CCG will retain personal information for the purpose of the complaint investigation only. In order for us to make improvements to the services you receive, anonymous information about your complaint will be shared as part of our reporting process. Should you have any concerns with regard to this arrangement please make contact with us via the details listed above. Information on how to make a complaint can be made available in other languages and interpreters can also be arranged, including sign interpreters.

Can I get help and support with making my complaint?
Yes. An organisation called Your Voice in Health and Social Care (YVHSC) can provide you with support and advocacy. You can contact them by phone on 020 3078 9990 or 07943862742 or via email  Details on the advocacy service can be found on the Healthwatch Waltham Forest website

What will happen once I make my complaint?
Complaints are dealt with in a manner that is proportional to the issues raised. Your complaint will be investigated and the NHS organisation responsible will aim to resolve the concerns and, where needed, will take action to prevent the incident from happening again.

Will my complaint remain confidential?
Your right to confidentiality will be respected throughout the investigation. However, there may be times when we need to share information without your consent, for example to protect children and vulnerable adults.

What if I am still not satisfied?
If you are unhappy with the response to your complaint, you should contact the service directly to see if they can look into the case further.

You also have the right to take your complaint to the Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO). There are time limits for taking a complaint to the Ombudsman, although the Ombudsman can waive them if it is perceived that there is good reason to do so. You can contact their helpline on 0345 015 4033 or

Further information is also available on the Ombudsman website. You can write to the Ombudsman at: The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP.

Please download the easy read PHSO privacy policy here.