Event seeks to support people living with lung disease in Waltham Forest
People in Waltham Forest with a life-changing lung disease are being invited to an event that aims to help them manage the condition.
Hosted by NHS Waltham Forest Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), the borough’s first-ever Living Better With COPD patient support day will provide a range of helpful information and advice, and give people a chance to share their experiences.
In Waltham Forest, nearly 3,000 people have been diagnosed as having COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) – a long-term, progressive lung condition that can cause increasing breathlessness.
With the right diagnosis and treatment, there are many things that people with COPD can do to manage their health, so the support day on Friday, 28 June in Leytonstone will be an interactive event, with opportunities to get advice from other patients and clinical experts on how to live better with the condition.
Dr Thaven Chetty, a local GP and Clinical Lead for Respiratory Illnesses at NHS Waltham Forest CCG, said:
“I urge all Waltham Forest residents with COPD to attend our first-ever Living Better With COPD patient support day. The day was created especially for people with COPD – not only will you get information and advice, you’ll get to meet other COPD patients and hear how they are tackling this life-long and life-changing condition.
“Additionally, specialist GPs, nurses and pharmacists will be on hand to tell you more about the pulmonary rehab clinic in Waltham Forest and to show you how a COPD action plan can support you to manage your condition better”.
The event will feature:
- A Waltham Forest woman with COPD giving a short talk and Q&A session. She will speak about her personal experiences of managing COPD and the help she has received from the Waltham Forest Pulmonary Rehab clinic
- Opportunities for patients to talk about their experiences of living with COPD
- Support and advice from GPs and pharmacists on managing COPD
- Information about the Waltham Forest Pulmonary Rehab clinic
- Guidance on how preventative measures, such as flu vaccines and smoking cessation, can help you live well and avoid unnecessary hospital admissions
- Advice on how COPD action plans can help you to manage your condition
- Information from the British Lung Foundation, and details of the local support groups and services available in Waltham Forest.
The event takes place from 12pm to 3pm on Friday, 28 June 2019 at NHS Waltham Forest CCG's offices at Kirkdale House, Kirkdale Road, Leytonstone E11 1HP.
Information will also be available on the virtual patient and public engagement(PPE) groups the CCG is looking to set up for people with COPD and other long-term conditions.
Admission is free but anyone interested in attending should register using this Eventbrite link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/copd-patient-engagement-event-tickets-55903656341 Lunch is provided – please advise of any dietary requirements.