Jeremy Hunt cites Waltham Forest’s Integrated Care as good example
Health and Social Care Secretary of State Jeremy Hunt has cited Waltham Forest’s approach to integrated care as an example of good practice.
The borough’s Managed Network of Care of Support received a mention in this week’s (20 March 2018) We Need To Do Better On Social Care speech.
The speech outlined the seven key principles that will guide the Government's thinking ahead of the social care green paper, to be published later in 2018.
The seven principles cover:
- Quality and safety embedded in service provision
- Whole-person integrated care with the NHS and social care systems operating as one
- Control - given to those receiving support
- Supporting families and carers
- A sustainable funding model for social care supported by a diverse, vibrant and stable market.
- Security for all - for those born with or developing a care need early in life, and for those entering old age, who do not know what their future care needs may be.
Waltham Forest received recognition for its model of whole-person integrated care.
The Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP said: “…we know that right now, despite many warm words, if you have complex needs our current health and social care system can be confusing and fragmented.
“…In Waltham Forest they have introduced a managed network of care and support to meet the needs of local residents through individually selected services – and seen emergency admissions reduced by a fifth during 2015/16.”
The Managed Network of Care and Support has been developed through the borough-wide Better Care Together Programme, a partnership between NHS Waltham Forest Clinical Commissioning Group, the Council (London Borough of Waltham Forest) and health care providers Barts Health NHS Trust and NELFT.
The programme, is the foundation upon which the borough is building its integrated care system, which covers:
- Care closer to home (community based services)
- Integrated urgent care
- End of life and palliative care
More on Waltham Forest’s journey towards an integrated care system and Better Care Together Programme can be found on NHS Waltham Forest CCG’s website - http://www.walthamforestccg.nhs.uk/ourwork/better-care-together.htm
Mr Hunt’s full speech can be found online - https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/we-need-to-do-better-on-social-care